Sunday 2 July 2017

Pictures are... Gone.


So Photobucket have suddenly decided they won't allow hotlinking, and have punished me by suspending my account (and locking all my photos) until I pay them a hefty ransom. Which I won't be doing, because I have no money. So... yeah. Screw them. I apologise that most of the pictures on this blog are no longer visible. Realistically I will never have the time to go through, find them all, re-upload them and fix the links. Other bloggers are experiencing the same thing, see:
http://www.hobomama.com/2017/06/photobucket-phail-or-how-to-ruin-hosting-site.html
Most people use Photobucket explicitly for the ability to link from images on Photobucket to other locations such as blogs and forums, so this seems like a baffling move.

Until you realize the scam that's afoot: The only way to get your images to show up again is to pay Photobucket $400, upfront, as an annual subscription to its most expensive plan.

Ah, I see. It's a ransom demand.


Edit: I was given a 12 hour window in which to download my photos. Luckily I saw the email in time (it just arrived, nighttime in Australia) and have been able to recover my pictures. Very relieved.
However, I have to say that I just don't have time to go back through hundreds of pictures and posts to reupload them all for a blog that's essentially no longer active. I'm sorry :(
Share this article :

2 comments:

  1. Holy smokes, is that legal?! That is a ransom demand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly hasn't earned them any good will!

      Delete

Because of all the spam lately, comments on old posts will now be moderated. This means it may be some time before your comment appears. You can always email me directly, check the contact page for details.